Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chief Justice Obama?

Not that anyone should ever take a politician at his word, but I found this statement rich in irony. From Senator Obama:

“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama.

New boss...same as the old boss?

Executive orders may be one thing, but last I checked, I do not recall learning that it is the role of the Executive Branch to overturn laws the President deems to be unconstitutional. I guess anything's possible this day and age.

And no disrespect to Obsidian Wings, but that is not a statement that should put a smile on anyone's face. It's a politician's pandering at its worst.

Another reason why I will never vote for the man.

For what it's worth, let's just say I have some disagreement's with the Bush Administration's constitutional positions. Rather than explain in detail, this paper by The Cato Institute should suffice.

Hat tip: Publius Endures

3 comments:

Doug said...

I'm no Obama fan, but what's wrong with the idea that the President should act in accordance with the Constitution ?

hilzoy said...

To my mind, the interesting thing was that it was the first thing he said. If you check the link, he mentioned other things -- e.g., health care -- but the Constitution was the first thing he mentioned.

And to judge by the last few years, the pro-Constitution lobby is not nearly strong enough to explain this as a pander.

Donald Douglas said...

Keep it up, ECL!!