Monday, December 10, 2007

The GOP and "Freedom"

Hat tip: KipEsquire and Crossed Pond

Mitt Romney: “Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.”

Rudy Giuliani: “Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.”


Certainly a far cry from this GOP candidate:

We see in the sanctity of private property the only durable foundation for constitutional government in a free society. And beyond that, we see, in cherished diversity of ways, diversity of thoughts, of motives and accomplishments. We do not seek to lead anyone's life for him - we seek only to secure his rights and to guarantee him opportunity to strive, with government performing only those needed and constitutionally sanctioned tasks which cannot otherwise be performed.


Find me a GOP candidate who believes the latter and I may begin to take the GOP seriously. Of course, I have a better chance of getting struck my lightning in my own home before we see another Barry Goldwater so I suppose we'll have to suffer through more painful rhetorical masturbation from politicians who need to pander to the morally authoritarian and liberty-challenged social conservatives.

There is a silver lining in this. No longer do I have to link to Hayek's "Why I am not a Conservative" as a supporting document when describing my own views. I can use these two nice little quotes as my own version of it. Besides, as I understand it, my neoconservative readers may not know who Hayek is anyway so this will make it easier on them. ;)

Last point and a good one:

As one of the commenters at Crossed Pond mentioned, if we put Romney and Giuliani together, we get Iran. What a beacon of freedom that country is.

1 comment:

MurrayMises said...

How about Ron Paul? He's not perfect, but he is as close to Goldwater as anyone has come in over forty years.