Wednesday, December 12, 2007

COMPUSA Closing

Via Instapundit.

The only reason I am blogging about this is because I am surprised it did not happen several years ago. Best Buy is far better in terms of selection for both computer hardware and software and the financing terms via the store credit cards are more competitive.

Moreso, for PC parts, the online retailers like Newegg, ZipZoomFly and Tiger Direct are far more competitive in terms of purchasing parts.

As an example, in 2005, I upgraded my gaming PC by purchasing 2 gigabytes of high-end gaming memory and a near (at the time) top-of-the line video card that in total cost me somewhere close to $600. It would have cost me $250 more had COMPUSA gotten the parts for me. Heck, COMPUSA's prices on "value" memory was close to twice what it was (is) at Newegg. How they made any money selling PC parts I do not know.

Imagine the price difference if one had to build a PC from scratch, as I did in 2004 (ok, someone built it for me).

No comments: